Why Do Some Christians See Metal as Evil?

Megadeth
Question:
Hi.  I listen to a variety of music, anything from metal to country. I like bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.  Also, Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine is a Christian! There was a show somewhere in Europe I think where this Death Metal band who uses satanic imagery and lyrics wanted to tour with Megadeth. But Mustaine refused their invitation, saying he did not agree with anything they stood for. But yet some are still critical of them.

Metallica wrote a song known as "Creeping Death" which was based on the movie "The Ten Commandments". It is off the album “Ride The Lightning”. If you read the lyrics it will be confirmed!  
Why is some stuff labeled "evil" or "satanic" when it isn't? And why is some stuff like television violence acceptable? Metallica's "Master of Puppets" is a song about drug addiction meaning that drugs kill!  And another one off the same album "Leper Messiah" meaning the money savior, a song about crooked evangelists. Nothing satanic at all!

My Reply:
Hi :)  Even as a Christian, I used to DJ for a secular heavy metal radio station called Rebel Radio (now live on the web), and I still work with it today.  I love that music you mentioned!  Heck, I listen to it all the time in my headphones at the gym. 

Yes, Dave Mustaine of Megadeth (and Dave Ellefson, also) is a Christian (and I've added a link to the interview that talks about him refusing the show).  As for Metallica, I don't know if any of them are now. I did hear James Hetfield once say something about learning that he's not God. He's also said to have a relatively new tattoo of Jesus on his arm, but then, he also grew up in the Christian Science cult). Also, their old music, though it had Biblical themes, was not on the side of God...more like their interpretations in frustration against it.
But there are a lot of metal artists from the past who've come to know Jesus personally, even rebuking their previous music, like Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P., Alice Cooper, and Brian "Head" Welsh, formally from Korn.

Although, I've also heard people mock Christian Heavy Metal, simply because of the sound of it. I'm guessing they don't listen to the lyrics, for if they did, they'd realize that though it's basically the same sound as what's not Christian, the lyrics are TOTALLY Evangelical.  And many have their own sounds now...not trying to copy the popular bands. Like Disciple, Eso Charis, Zao, Deliverance, No Innocent Victim, Pillar, Kutless, Dead Poetic, Demon Hunter...ya know?

Anyway...as for your question about the horror movies, I just have to say "Amen", because I don't understand it either.



---Pastor Andy

No comments: