Stereotyping Personalities By Clothing Style

Question:

If I wear a certain type of clothing, does that mean I have to be a certain type of person?  For example:

Emos wear ragged clothing, lots of black and bright neon-type colors, and converse.  They also cut their wrists, drink/smoke a lot, lots of drama, and give off the idea that they're depressed a lot.
Preps, on the other hand, behave like girlie-girls, they're crazy about fashion, obsessed with looks, always concerned about their weight, and often have Bipolar personalities (super nice at times, then automatically turn really b*t*hy)...stuff like this.  Is it true?

My Reply:
I hear what you're trying to say.  When I was in high school (late 80s), I grew my hair long, wore jeans that were more holes than denim, & a leather jacket. While in college, even though many others cut their hair, I continued with my style, not so much because I had to in order to fit in with a certain group, but mainly because I wanted to prove that stereotyping such a style was a false and cowardly way of judging somebody's character.  
So I say wear what you want. Others will judge you for what you wear either way you go. Don't dress according to people's stereotypes. Your close friends will know you for who you are, not for how you dress. Anybody else, who cares?
The Great Dr. Seuss once said, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."  In other words, just be you and don't worry so much about what others say.

---Pastor Andy

No comments: