Why do Atheists get married?

Question:  Why do Atheists get married?  I mean, I know, insurance, and taxes, etc.  But when you were first married, you didn't think about things like that. You were (are) in love with each other, and you just want to marry them. But why?

My Reply:
You know, to an extent, I've been wondering the same thing, for marriage is a God-thing...God created it.  But if they don't believe in God, then why would they believe in marriage? I'll tell you, it makes my brain hurt (a little) when I think about it, because it really doesn't make any sense. I mean, if they say it's because they see married couples all the time, so they know it exists...but then, everything that exists was created by God. They see everything that exists, but they refuse to believe in God anyway, then why...

The Apostle Paul suggested for single Christians (who are dating somebody) to marry so they don't burn in passion, because sex was created to be in the context of marriage...otherwise it's sinful. But if somebody doesn't believe in God, then they must not care about sin, because they're not worried about being judged or anything by something they don't believe in. So then we return to the question, "why do they marry?"

I've asked some atheist friends about this in the past, and have heard reasons from not believing Marriage to be a God-thing to it just being something that people have been doing for thousands of years (I agree, but insist also that it was first introduced by God).  Although I also recently asked this question on my Facebook, hoping to get some good feedback on it from my non-believing friends.  I'm not sure how many actually read this post before commenting, but the main argument I got back was that they neither believe marriage is a God-thing, nor that God has to have anything to do with it.  Some also went off topic, but mostly gave the same basic reason.

Maybe, when you get right down to it, marriage to an Atheist has become like Christmas and Easter to them: holidays that were originally intended for celebrating and glorifying God, transformed by the world's desires for holidays to receive gifts and candy, and have nothing to do with God.  And by the time it got to them, it was already part of their culture as a proper step in a committed relationship?
OR, MAYBE it's like heaven in the eyes of many others in the world...they want to go there, but don't want to have anything to do with the One and only Way to get there.  So they take parts of it that they like, keep out the parts about Jesus or God or anything Biblically sound, and create their own version of it, claiming it to be just as good as the real thing.
---Pastor Andy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not an atheist, but I'm not a Christian. I married my husband because I wanted to be his wife. Our society is set up to work with married couples, and so is our system of law. That's why so many gay couples want to get married.

And quoting Genesis to prove something about the world to an atheist is the best example of begging the question I've seen.

http://www.skepdic.com/begging.html

Unknown said...

Thanks Mary for your Comment.

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Gene.

You have three separate arguments that build on one another:

p1. God created marriage.
p2. Atheists do not believe in God.
Therefore, Atheists should not believe in marriage.

p1. Marriage is designed to allow Christians to have sex and still be moral beings.
p2. Atheists are not bound by biblical morality.
Therefore, Atheists should not get married.

p1. Non-Christians want to go to heaven.
p2. Non-Christians do not want to follow biblical law.
p3. They do not wish to feel less than Christians who are going to heaven.
Therefore, they must create a faux union to prove that they are equal to Christians and their ceremonies.

I think this is how I understand what your saying and I agree. As for the first, I don't think you go far enough. Since God created everything and the world is a creation of God; we should inquire why non-Christians believe in anything their sensory organs tell them. To an Atheist there should be no sky, grass, or sun because God made those things and they do not believe in God.

As for part two; I also think you didn't take your argument far enough. Why do some Atheists live their lives morally at all? Since they could get away with any sin and suffer the same consequences I wouldn't trust an atheist with anything, let alone my life. I often wonder if atheists just act like nice people and secretly scheme against Christians.

And for the 3rd argument:
I agree and feel that it all comes down to cross envy. They see our lives and want what we have but they cannot live this way without taking the path of God. They can say they love each other, but as derived in your first argument, love comes from God and therefore they don't believe in love.

Unknown said...

thanks Gene, and yes, I believe you're absolutely correct. Sorry for not going far enough in my arguments and thanks for taking them further.