Trying To Understand Circumcision

Question:

Why do Jews perform ritual circumcision in modern times?  What is the origin of this practice, and how is it spiritual in any way?
I'm just curious…I'm fascinated by religion and think Judaism is very interesting + cool along with other religions, this has just always perplexed me.  It doesn't make sense to me, though, why it would matter to God whether or not boys/men had a certain extra fold of skin, and I can't believe that anyone believes that it does.  But that is not why I'm asking.  I just want to know what you think, for if God created humans, and being uncircumcised was unsanitary, then why wouldn't he just create them without this flaw? Doesn't it just seem slightly bizarre?


My Reply:
In Genesis, circumcision was the sign of God's covenant with Abraham...he and all his descendants must be circumcised on the 8th day after their birth (Genesis 17).  It's also something completely different from what any other nations did, so it would make them stand out among everybody else.  That would explain why God created us with it at first (showing that His people are different from everybody else).

When you look at circumcision today, there are also many medical and sanitary reasons to get circumcised.  It's possible that God had this in mind also.
---Pastor Andy