Christians' "Calling"

Question: 
As an atheist, I had an interesting conversation the other day with a Christian regarding divine "callings" and placements. Philippians 2:13 = “…for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.”
This verse basically says that God empowers you and places the desires within you to carry out what you're "called" to do.
  So, would it be correct to say that if you're a Christian, whatever career aspirations you have are from God?  So God would never call you to do something you hate?


My Reply:
We have to also remember that God created us for His purpose. Everybody has skills that can be used for God's Kingdom, should they use them for Him. But not everybody has chosen or agreed to do so.

For example, since I was little, I always wanted to work in radio. My dad was in radio, so I grew up telling people about his radio station with great excitement and reasons for why they should listen to it. I advertised it, gave away game pieces and bumper stickers, answered the phones in the studios, and was always a part of the family of that radio station. Then one day, God called me to ministry, but He basically called me to continue what I was doing for the radio stations, only for Him now...tell people about Him with great excitement instead of the radio station; give people Bibles and information of how to achieve salvation and a relationship with God; instead of answer the phones in the studio, I answer questions on here...do you get what I'm saying?

Granted there are many who go into ministry kicking and screaming, but that's not because God is making them do something they hate, but usually because they don't want to give up what they're doing. So it's about obedience and trusting God enough to know that His plan for us is better than those of our own.

---Pastor Andy

No comments: